There is no doubt that Liberia has entered the world of Golf. In 1938, the first golf couse
was built by the Firestone Plantations Company in harbel. Since then, another eight golf
courses have been built all over the Country and have become part of the Liberian scene.
The Liberian Amateur Golf Association was formed in 1969 by Senator W. V. S. Tubman and
representatives from all the Golf Clubs. The first National Amateur Golf Championship was
held at Firestone on January 31st, 1970, which was won by Hugh ´Darsey of Firestone. He also
won the second open Championship which was held at Bong Range in 1971.
In 1972, the Ladies Golf Union was formed to encourage female participants. Since the
formation of the LAGA, two Tournaments have been held each year. They are the `Scratch´ and
the `Handicap´ Championship.
The `Scratch´ is designed for the best players in the Country, while the `Handicap´ gives
everyone a chance to qualify. Normally, there is a field of forty players (four from each
Club and one Liberian Team). There is also one Ladies Championship held each year.